Thursday, January 17, 2008

Food for Thought

It's cold in North Carolina.

I know, I know it's probably really cold where you are. We just had a period of 60-70degree weather, so hovering around freezing is cold for us.

I know, I know we're freaks down south because we cancel school at the threat of ice and snow, we empty the bread and milk from our groceries if we hear the possibility of winter weather, and our journalists nickname smallish flurries of white stuff "Ar tic Blast" and "Winter Storm".

But it's cold.

I think I am suffering from Cabin Fever. Can one self-diagnose Cabin Fever? The Bug's been sick since Saturday (or so, my days are really running together), so we've been trapped here. Here is actually where I prefer when I gaze outside and see cold gray skies and a steady, depressing drizzle. We're both in sweats and we're playing/blogging in front of the heater waiting for Daddy to come home. It's quite nice actually, but what is it about winter weather that makes me feel so restless?

In honor of our cold (possibly snowy, later) day I am posting my new favorite recipe. A friend at church passed this on to me when I tried and loved her White Chicken Chili-- bon apetite!

Ingredients:
3 cans chicken broth
3 cans great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
3 cups chopped chicken breast (about 3 medium breasts)
1 medium onion chopped
1 can white corn (drained)
1 (4.5oz) can chopped green chilies
1 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
(I add some garlic too!)

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a big pot. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-60minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Yum-O!

No comments: