Wednesday, May 28, 2008

WFM?

It's Wednesday, which means Rocks in My Dryer is having the weekly edition of WFMW. I don't have a tip or trick to share this week, instead I need some advice on if a certain endeavor will work for me. Have you met the fly lady?

Some of you shuddered when I mentioned her. I saw you!

The Fly Lady is this... I'm not sure how to describe her adequately... lady who supposedly rearranges lives by helping you keep an orderly house. I need an orderly house. I don't plan to be a slob, sometimes it just happens to me. And makes me (and Hubby) cringe. So I went on her site last night and subscribed to the emails. I'm not fully committed because I went to bed without a shiny sink last night (I figured it would still be just as unshiny today)... but I'm on the fence here-- no shiny sink, but I'm on the email list...

So I need to know-- have you tried her? Did it work for you? Will it work for me? Is she really a miracle worker? HELP!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I tried FlyLady. And even with her emails in daily "digest" form (all the daily reminders and testimonies compiled into just one email), it was overwhelming for me. I think she has some great foundational princples, I really do...it was just too much. Even her "baby steps" were too much for me. And I am just not a shoe person.

I also just don't have a whole lot of extra stuff. We've purged and purged to try to fit into our little condo, so there is never a room that I can "27-fling boogie."

But I think that if you can take the good, not get overwhelmed by the emails, and dismiss the things that don't work for you from her systems, then she's great. The people I've heard about who have been the most successful with FlyLady are those who have changed her systems to work for them.

MaryBeth said...

The best thing about Fly Lady's system is the baby steps method of building all these habits into a routine. I've been using her system (not in it's entirity, but parts at least) for almost a year now, and I have to say it has definitely helped.

Shelley @ My Treasure Hunt said...

I have been receiving her e-mails for just about a month. I like it! I can already tell a difference in my house...it is working for me! I don't follow ALL of her instructions, but she has some good ideas. I definitely recommend giving it a try for at least a month!

Unknown said...

I have fallen off that wagon several times - but I greatly admire those who make it work.

The one thing that has really stuck with me is the 15 minute timer - it helps me stay focused! (and away from blogging/commenting for at least 15 minutes).

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of her until I read your blog yesterday. I was curious, so I went to her website and ended up signing up for her e-mails, also. I did some cleaning last night and was quite proud of myself! I know I won't follow all of her rules (I could care less if I have shoes on) but I think I'll take away some good lessons and ideas. I'm actually excited to go home and do more cleaning tonight. (I know the excitement probably won't last too long. Haha.) I have to admit that I didn't do the babysteps one at a time. I read the whole month's worth of them and did all of them. It's easier for me that way. Good luck and thanks for the tip!

Jodi said...

I think she's fabulous and has so many great tips and tricks and really just encourages you to take babysteps to get where you want to be. One of her premises is that you can't organize clutter - which I totally agree with...unfortunately I'm addicted to MY clutter and don't want to get rid of it, which poses a problem with her system. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll get with it. Best wishes!