Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Yum, Chicken Soup

I'm a sucker for a good story.

I love when a good story makes me cry. (Don't tell my mom though, I'm always teasing her for crying over sappy things.)

Chicken Soup for the Soul has all sorts of editions out for every reason on the planet. (Chicken Soup for Moms and Daughters, Chicken Soup for the Golfer's Soul, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul...) And I love feeding my soul. I love the short story aspect of Chicken Soup... I can lay down in bed and read a story or two without getting caught up in a lengthy novel. It's the perfect little bedtime snack.

I've been looking through some new Chicken Soups for teens (and mamas of teens) and I wanted to let you know about these three good doses of Soup for the Soul:
Oh my goodness, mamas. Do you have a middle schooler? high schooler? senior? Well, what are you waiting for? Please proceed directly to Amazon.com. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

These books are full of stories from kids (hence the titles "Teens Talk") and wowsers! They are full of heart and insight into the turbulent times of those crazy teenage years. Just reading them will help you taste a little bit of what your teen is like, and who s/he goes to school with, hangs out with, makes out with... well, hopefully not too much of the last one.

Let's face it, middle school and high school are way different than when you were there. Heck, I was there less than ten years ago, and it's way different than when I was there!

If you're pulling your hair out waiting for your senior to get into college, or you don't get why you're middle schooler is so wacky, go devour some Chicken Soup for the Soul. Doctor's orders.

Want to win one? Let me know which one you would choose if you're the weiner...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha!! Today in class, I gave a kid a pass and said, "Go straight there. Do not pass Go; do not collect $200." He looked at me and said, "Mrs. Greenhill! I'm not a drug dealer!" Someone said, "That's Monopoly, Mikey." And yes, still pregnant! (Hence the conversation that took place at school today) :)

Leigh said...

Probably the High School book...we work with middle schoolers and high schoolers, so I'd love to get a glimpse of what they think and go through and how they express it!

Charity and Will Sutphin said...

As a high school teacher who,let's say, gets "mildly annoyed" with their lovable personalities from time to time, I would definitely pick Teens Talk:High School. Also, I read Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and cried over like every story. My husband hid it from me after that I think...

Catie said...

I would say Teens talk: Getting into College... since I work with High School as a School Counselor, specifically with students going through the scholarship process, I deal with this on a daily basis... it is nice to remember a little bit of insight into what it actually FELT like to be where they are... it can be such a scary/exciting thing to live through... but somehow we make it! :)

I hope you're wonderful... lots of exciting things going on in your life I understand... I keep up with you through your sisters! Can't wait for the wedding!!!!