Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chips & Salsa!

It's been almost eight months since I've lived in America, and there are a few things I miss. If you've ever traveled overseas (even for a short time), you know what I mean. There is this hankering (Truly, did I just sound like a redneck?) that arises for those certain delicacies-- a Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich, sweet tea, southern fried chicken-- can you guess where my roots are?

I am blessed to live in a modern city, and a lot of "comfort" items are findable-- I can buy Dove Shampoo and Neutrogena face wash at my grocery store. I have been lucky enough to happen upon M&Ms and my hubby has been overjoyed to find Dr Pepper on more than one occasion.

However most "convenient foods" that are available in the US, are not to be found here. I don't generally mind, because cooking with fresh ingredients and making things from scratch means my family is eating better, and we will benefit in the long run from not having those things at hand. It's more work and more time invested. But I guarantee I'll enjoy these homemade chips and homemade salsa more than I've ever enjoyed them at my local Mexican restaurant in the States!


Seriously, don't you wish you were invited to dinner?


Homemade Tortilla Chips and Salsa


Salsa




  • 4 tomatoes (or 1 can tomatoes), whirred in a blender or food processor (I don't process mine long since I like chunky salsa!)

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced

  • 2 teaspoons cilantro

  • dash of black pepper

  • 2 or 3 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, chopped


Mix everything together.  Refrigerate for a few hours to let all the flavors blend.  Enjoy!

Tortilla Chips (from Food Network Kitchens)

  • twelve small tortillas

  • olive oil

  • fine salt


Preheat oven to 350*F, or 180*C.  Brush both sides of tortillas with oil.  Stack tortillas and cut the pile into sixths with a pizza cutter.  Spread the chips in a single layer on a baking sheet (they won't all fit the first go 'round!), and sprinkle with salt.  Bake until golden brown and crisp (12-15 minutes), rotating the baking sheet halfway through the time.

Enjoy!

No comments: