Friday, January 7, 2011

3 months old, already?

Oh, Doodlebug!  Where is the time going?  It doesn't seem possible that it's time for your newborn look to fade.  You're smiling, laughing, and cooing like you have special things to tell us.  You've grown so much and you've just kind of settled yourself into our family as cozily as a kitten would snuggle up on a warm, sunshiney spot on the rug for a winter's nap.  It's like we've never been without you.  And really, I'm not sure how we were without you.  Your calm demeanor, your happy face, your sweet scent, your soft head.  It's all so familiar, so perfect.

When I look around the room and see your handsome daddy, your inquisitive sister, your active brother, and you, my heart nearly bursts from all sorts of ooshy gooshy feelings.  (Really, I'll spare you any more details!)

When I was pregnant with your brother, I was determined that he would have everything your sister had.  I didn't want him to miss out.  He would have just as many toys, just as much of my attention, just as much space in the closet.  For some reason that was very important to me then... I've realized that I am only human and I can give and give, but it may not always be exactly even, and that's OK.  You don't get as much of me as I would like to give you.  Because I'm busy cooking dinner, hanging laundry, talking to your daddy, helping your sister learn, keeping your brother out of trouble, and learning a second language.  I may not be able to give you all the attention, time, and gifts I wish I could, but I can give your infanthood one thing... I am a better mommy this time around.

Each baby has built in me the confidence that God has equipped me to do this job.  I've picked up tips and tricks and funny little mommy quirks along the way and it's made me a better mommy.  I've realized the importance of praying daily for my Bugs, and I do.  So much, so hard.

So, happy three months, Doodlebug.  Thanks for being my baby.  My special, content, happy, loving, easy-going third baby.  I love you!

Love, Mommy

No comments: