Monday, January 21, 2008

Sanctity of Human Life Week

When I was big, fat, and pregnant I saw a display at my church that has somewhat changed me.

I have always been pro-life, meaning that I believe abortion is murder, and that life begins at conception. When I saw the display for our local Pregnancy Support Center, it moved me extra-deeply because I could not imagine facing my pregnancy without having my husband and without knowing the Lord! My heart ached for girls who face crisis pregnancies-- currently there are fourteen(ish) girls who are pregnant at the high school where my husband teaches! FOURTEEN! Fourteen lives that have been turned upside down because sex before marriage is now "OK" in America. Because we teach our children that abstinence is the best form of birth control, but here are your other options... Since when has abstinence simply been a form of birth control anyway? In my high school there was one pregnant girl. ONE!

Getting off my soapbox... anyway, when I saw the display it stirred a desire to help inside me. I signed up to volunteer at our PSC. I went through volunteer training in July (with two-week old Buggy along for most of it!) and started coming in for two hours each Monday.

Volunteering for a Pregnancy Support Center has been rewarding in many ways. I used to wonder if abortion was OK in certain circumstances (rape, mother life in danger, etc), but I have come to the realization that in my heart of hearts, I do not think abortion is ever "OK". I think God would always choose life, and I need to be an advocate for always choosing life. (If you still have questions about abortion in these cases, I encourage you to check out The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers, and this real life story!)

I also find myself to be a judgemental person (even though I wish so badly I were not), and talking with some of these girls, and getting to know them and share with them has changed my quick first impressions of people. I want to always remember that everyone has a story I don't know, and seek to love and be compassionate towards them.

Volunteering has also given me regular opportunities to share the Gospel. I appreciate the fact that working there makes me want to initiate conversations, and feel more motivated to do so, because that's what the Pregnancy Support Center is all about. I have not seen anyone make a decision for Christ yet, but I want to be faithful to keep sharing and keep praying for these girls.

Sanctity of Human Life Week is the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision to legalize abortion. I don't think abortion is simply a political issue, and I know it won't be ended by protests and bombing abortion clinics.

Take some time this week to educate yourself on abortion procedures and legislation, your local Pregnancy Support Center, and other similar issues. Wikipedia estimates that 46 million abortions are performed worldwide each year. 46 million. My heart aches over that statistic.

For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
If I should count them,
they would outnumber the sand
When I awake, I am still with You.
Psalm 139:13-18

No comments: