Monday, March 3, 2008

Semi-Homemade Pizza!

We have a new family tradition! Two weeks ago I bought a Martha White pizza crust mix to try and we gave good ol' Martha two thumbs up! I decided making pizza would be a fun (and pretty cheap) family tradition for Friday nights.

Meet the cast for the show:
1. Martha White Pizza crusts (I make two to satisfy my ravenous teacher husband!)
2. Water
3. Olive Oil
4. Tomato Sauce
5. Cheese (We make a three cheese pizza with mozzarella, Parmesan, and feta.)
6. Anything else you like on pizza

Start the oven preheating to 475º. Mix the crust with 1/2cup of hot water (I use a tiny bit more than that to make my dough a little stickier) in a mixing bowl. Brush the dough ball with a bit of Olive Oil. Cover the mixing bowl with a (clean) kitchen towel and let it stand for five minutes. I open the oven door, and place the covered bowl on the door, so the dough can rise in warmth.

While dough is rising, prepare a pan for your pizza. I spray mine with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle it with flour.

When dough is ready, begin working it with your hands (floured hands work best!) and spread it on the prepared pan. I found the Martha White crust spreads and stays much easier than other crusts you make at home (and it's cheaper!) Poke the crust with a fork all over.

Put the pan on the bottom rack of the 475º oven and let it bake for five minutes.

Remove the crust from the oven and top with sauce, cheese, and whatever else you desire.
Place the pizza back in the oven and bake for nine-ish minutes. (I baked ours for eight on Friday and it was perfect!)
Friday night pizza nights are our only night to eat in the living room! We spread a blanket and enjoy an inside picnic meal!

(Martha White crusts cost $.74 at my Food Lion and $.54 at my Wal-mart. They are found in both stores on the pasta isle near the other pizza kits. Martha White also makes great and simple muffin mixes!)

6 comments:

Windot said...

I've had a busy weekend and missed your posts, I just had a lot of catching up to do!!! Thanks for the pizza tip, we LOVE pizza!
I LOVE what you're doing with Olivia for the quiet times. We might borrow that idea in some form! Can't wait to see you again. We're all healthy, so let me know!

Kelly said...

Hi Shelia, My name is Kelly Sizemore and I just wanted to let you know I've been lurking. I am one of Erin's college friends and I really enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for making it so mom friendly. I am a new mom as well - to a 10 month old so I feel there is some common ground. Thank you for letting me lurk and read!

happyhome said...

Looks yummy! What a great tradition.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

LOVE pizza in all its incarnations! Love the pics.

You've been tagged when you have time.

Tom Burger said...

WOW! That sure brings back memories.

Erin said...

I love homemade pizza! Thanks for sharing!