Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gobble, Gobble

Thanksgiving 2008


OH MY! I cannot even describe how that picture from last Thanksgiving melts my heart.  Especially since it's been a RARE occasion lately that I've been able to get a good picture of both kids.  Oy, what do you do when the brood exceeds even two buggies?!


As the day approaches when we think about how blessed we are, and we consume way more food than we should in one day, my heart is full.  Very full.


Yes, I miss my family terribly.  Thanksgiving has always been a special day to my parents, sisters, and me.  Always a day full of food and fellowship.  It's hard to describe exactly, but it's just a warm feeling I have about the whole affair.  Like sunshine squares on the carpet: warm and fuzzy-- that's what Thanksgiving has always felt like to me.  As I prepare for the first holiday away from so many people I love, I am thankful that I have such a great family to miss on this day.


In this stage of life (two, two and under) the daily-ness of doing the everyday (how redundant!) can seem so overwhelming.  Often I feel like I accomplish no more than keeping bottoms dry, noses wiped, and bellies full.  There is a never-ending pile of laundry, always-overflowing basket of toys, and crumbs on the floor, galore.  I"m thankful for the noses to wipe (so many have empty arms), crumbs to vacuum (so many have empty bellies), and four walls to contain our daily lives (so many have no such place).


Most of all, as I reflect upon the coming season, I am thankful for the One who emptied Himself.  Becoming flesh, baby flesh, helpless flesh.  The Shepherd became a sheep to die for the sheep.  And I just can't thank Him enough.

2 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

What a timely post. Thanks for the reminder that the things that seem the most mundane are often the most beautiful blessings. :-)

mom said...

I am loving that picture and can hardly believe all that has happened since then. We missed you tremendously this Thanksgiving but are also thankful for all the years we had you here. We are thankful that you have given us the sweetest grandkids ever. We are all so blessed.