Sunday, June 1, 2008

My Bug

When we selected Bug's name (Olivia), we also picked a Bible verse for her. I've been meditating on this verse a lot this week... praying that her life would echo these words penned long ago.

Psalm 52:8
But as for me, I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;
I trust in the lovingkindness of God forever and ever.

So much of parenting (even before a year old!) is all about intentionality. I read the Bible with Bug (almost every day) and we pray together because I want those to be regular treasures in her life. I ask her to cover her mouth when she coughs, not because she will yet, but because I want her to learn to be polite. I introduce adults with their prefix-- Mr. and Mrs.-- because I want her to honor and respect her elders. I expect her to listen and stop when I say, "No." because I want her to learn obedience to her parents and to God.

I guess picking out a verse and a prayer to pray for my daughter was just another way to be intentional. A way to have a specific goal and desire for her life. Even before she was born.

It's not really so out there-- I know God had her days planned when she was this size ----> . in my womb!

1 comment:

DeAnne said...

great thoughts! Keep up the good work.